Thursday, September 30, 2010

Quilting Journals

Recently I bought this book which is all about reproduction quilts and journal entries from the 1800's. Its a beautiful book with projects to make and very interesting stories written by Lizzie the quilt maker. She talks about her life and everyday events plus her quilt making which is fascinating. This got me thinking about my quilt journals and how neglected they have been the last few months. So I decided to keep writing about the quilts I have made but also write about some things that were happening at the time. I'm going to save swatches of fabrics and write down points of history like the costs of things including fabrics and foods.
This is one quilt I made a couple of years ago, I wrote why I made the quilt and what the fabrics costs. I also wrote the cost of our mortgage at that time and the price of petrol. Its amazing that in just a few years how much the cost of living has increased.



I'm hoping that one day some one will come across my journals (thats if the boys haven't thrown them out) and read about my life and the quilts I made.



Do you have any suggestions as to what else I could include in my journal, I thought I could put in the odd pattern and lots of photos of my quilts and swatches of fabrics.. What else would make it interesting? If you keep a journal of your quilting I'd love to hear about it and the things you put in it.





4 comments:

Susan said...

Hi Leanne
Your journal sounds great and it looks lovely. I think you have pretty much got things covered Maybe if you add any events you go to and what you purchased from them?
I sent you a letter with belated birthday wishes can you let me know if it arrived please because apparently I may have put the wrong stamps on it. Thanks Susan xx

Jan said...

What a fabulous idea, Leanne! So often our tastes change, or we forget what we have made, especially if we've made things as gifts, and it would be great to look back and see what we've done. What a great record for future generations. I hope you also include an introductory piece about yourself, for your family as well as others to read and enjoy.

Ruth said...

Your journal looks wonderful! I started one a long time ago, but now I can't find it. I have thought about doing a better one, but haven't yet. It is a great idea, though, and I would like to do it. Maybe one of these days I'll get organized!

a good yarn said...

You are very good to keep a journal. Perhaps you could add what inspired you to make each quilt or whether you learned a new technique making the quilt. It such a good idea. Your new book looks very interesting. Ann :-)

The big 5 0

 Well its been a very fun week for me. Last Saturday I turned 50. It was a fun day of celebrations followed by a wonderful dinner with 30 ...