Thursday, January 17, 2013

I made Jam

 We have a big plum tree in our back garden just bursting with fruit so I thought I would have a go at making my first lot of Jam. It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be.
 I sterilized all the jars and made fancy covers for the lids while dinner was cooking.
I found some free printable labels on line . Tied some ribbon on them and there you have it, the perfect gift from my kitchen. All the boys had a taste and gave me their seal of approval. I was thrilled to bits with all that hard work.
I thought I would share the recipe with you...

2kg of plums
1.5 kg of caster sugar
2 tbs lemon juice.
1 cup water

Cut all plums in half and remove the seed. Put all the plums in a big saucepan and cover with water. When fruit is soft, gradually add sugar and stir until dissolved. Turn up heat and boil for at least 45 minutes until the fruit is thick. Test jam on a chilled plate by placing a teaspoon of jam on the plate and tip it, if the jam is runny boil mixture a bit longer.

Pour into prepared jars and seal lids. It will keep in the cupboard for up to 1 year.

I was going to sew tonight but I'm too pooped so I think I'll just sit and stitch in front of the tele.

I hope you enjoy your evening.

17 comments:

Annie said...

Good job Leanne. I made 49 jars of raspberry jam over the last 2 weekends....but I don't have fancy covers or lovely labels....and 50% of eating is with the eyes. Bet it tastes yummy too!

Cubby House Crafts said...

yum! very pretty with the floral covers
Lisa

Noela said...

Your jars look great. I can almost taste the jam inside. Enjoy putting your feet up for a while. Hugs...

Pauline said...

yummo...

Lib said...

So much fruit around at the moment, I cooked up a heap of apricots last night but just in the freezer not in such beautiful jars!

Anonymous said...

Leanne well done,i love homemade jam can you please give me the link for the labels,thankyou.xx

Anonymous said...

Leanne well done,i love homemade jam can you please give me the link for the labels,thankyou.xx

Anonymous said...

Yum yum and homemade would taste so much better then store bought :)

Ruth said...

It certainly gives you a sense of accomplishment to make jam from you own tree! Fresh, home grown produce is best (although I don't grow any). I just ate a grapefruit for breakfast that my DIL and I picked from a friend's tree. It was kind of sour, but still good.

Christine M said...

I remember making jam once many years ago. Can't remember if it was good or not. Will have to give it a go one day! Your jars look lovely with the covers.

Quilt Kitty said...

Thats the kind of stuff I want to live in Tassie & do - sounds heavenly & a yummy result too. Well done. xxx

Anthea said...

Oh yum Leanne, great job! I love making jams and stuff like that... x

Darlene said...

Bet the jam is yummy! The jars are adorable.

Marlene said...

I have just made some plum janm as well-gorgeous red plums. I added cinnamon to it as well as it give it a nice depth of flavour. just getting into jam making and love it.

a good yarn said...

Is there a batch of scones in the oven? Home made jam seems to always taste better and it's a very special gift to receive.

Stephany said...

You did a good job Leanne. I can not make jam at all, I don't like cooking!

Sweet Cinnamon Stitches said...

Well done Leanne.....nothing like the taste of homemade! I have apricots in the fridge to stew.
Have a great weekend!
Cheers....Jane.

The big 5 0

 Well its been a very fun week for me. Last Saturday I turned 50. It was a fun day of celebrations followed by a wonderful dinner with 30 ...