Saturday, January 10, 2015

Friday night with friends

 Well what a week its been, I worked full time everyday and boy was I tired. I normally only work part time but my collegue had the week off so I worked all day, It was a good week though. I do enjoy my job. Then we had friends over  from the mainland for a visit  so we were entertaining them as well,
 After such a big week Friday night with friends was just what I needed, Thankyou to Cheryll for hosting, During my holidays I was sorting my quilts and as I have a few that aren't finished I thought I would spend  this year trying to get them finished. This one I started so long ago, I think it was 2009. It's all made and half hand quilted .
 I have mainly hand quilted around the baskets, then I thought I would do a hand quilted flower in the red squares, well I did a few  then I got bored so the quilt went into the cupboard for a LONG time.


 Even though my taste in fabrics have changed alot since I started this quilt  I still love it.  And I feel that once its all finished I will love it even more.  I gave up on the hand quilting, unpicked the flowers that I had stitched and  last night I started quilting  a grid design  in the red squares, If you look closely you will see a flower  shape that I unpicked in the back ground.
 There are 20 red squares and you know when you realise  you will never get back to it but you want it finished then you have to make some changes. I am really happy with the grid quilting, I also  did a bit of straight line machine quilting around the border so it all ties together.
Our friends left to go home today so tonight I am keen to do a bit more on this quilt.
 Of course I have to share a few garden pics, my zinnias are looking so pretty right now. So many different colours.

 I have corn flowers as well,
 And my sumo lilliams are beautiful. I was so thrilled when these babies flowered.
I won't tell you how much I love my garden because I'm sure you already know.

If you would like to see what other ladies got up to for Friday Night with friends, click here and you will see the list of names.

Have a wonderful weekend. Hope you find some sewing time.

30 comments:

Susan said...

I totally agree that finished is so much better than hidden away in a cupboard! My plan for 2015 is to use up as much of my stash as I can- better sewn and seen, than squirrelled away not being appreciated!

Susan said...

I agree too. It doesn't matter if your original plan changes as long as the quilt is out of the cupboard and finished. I like it, it has a nice vintage look to it. Full time work is a terrible strain on sewing time.....hope it gets back to normal soon.

Susan said...

I agree too. It doesn't matter if your original plan changes as long as the quilt is out of the cupboard and finished. I like it, it has a nice vintage look to it. Full time work is a terrible strain on sewing time.....hope it gets back to normal soon.

Anonymous said...

Hi Leanne love your quilt, yes I think you will be very pleased with this when its finished,I also love your flowers xx

Maria said...

Lovely quilt and gorgeous flower photos :-)

Michelle Ridgway said...

How wonderful to get a UFO off the list. It is lovely. I do love to visit your beautiful garden x

Christine B said...

Hi Leanne! I think your unfinished quilt is beautiful and deserves to be finished and out of the cupboard, so well done you!! Love all your beautiful flower photographs.... lovely to see as here everything is over for the Winter so not much colour in the garden!! :) x

Maria said...

I like the grid in the red blocks.. You did well sewing along after such a busy week.

Such beautiful flowers..

sunny said...

Good work on your UFO's! I never met a basket quilt that I didn't like, and this is a beauty. Your flowers are beautiful too. It finally got verrrrry bold here, so your pretty flowers help me to dream of spring and summer.

Felicia said...

Beautiful flowers and lovely quilt!

Anonymous said...

That is a lovely quilt

Carla - Alaska Wolf Pack said...

Someday I will have a garden that rivals yours...until then I live vicariously through you!

Christine M said...

Your quilt is gorgeous, Leanne. Those flowers are beautiful too.

Jeanette said...

Yes getting it finished in a different way than you intended is better than having the quilt in a cupboard. It's such a lovely quilt. Love your flowers. So pretty. Hugs,xx

Simone Harding said...

Great finish there. Leanne.
The colour in those flowers are gorgeous.

Noela said...

I like the grid pattern. The quilt is lovely. Funny how our tastes change. I did mostly country when I started. Now I like a much bigger range of patterns and colours in fabrics. Hugs....

Sue said...

Love the grid pattern!

barb's creations said...

Love the quilt, like you I have a few projects that aren't my colour way anymore but still love the look of. good luck with finishing off a few more things this year and I love seeing all your garden pictures :) Barb.

barb's creations said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Yvonne W said...

I think the quilt is beautiful and you are almost there-- so keep going with it. Hope you had a restful weekend. Looking forward to the next FnwFs.

a good yarn said...

Sometimes distance allows us to see things more clearly. Now that you have a new vision for your quilt it's on it's way to completion. Yay!

Rosie said...

Lovely quilt and gorgeous flowers.

Sherry said...

Your quilt is wonderful. I love the colors and the way you are quilting it.

Thank you for the flower pics. Here in New Jersey we are going through winter and cold, cold temps. Right now spring seems a far bit away so the beautiful colors are appreciated.

Anthea said...

Wow Leanne - good on you getting out that quilt and working on giving a proper finish - you'll have it done in no time I bet!

Kim said...

It is nice going back to something and realising how much you love it. The garden is looking great.

Josie said...

Oh.... you show off you!!
Gorgeous quilt... gorgeous garden... I can feel my complexion turning green! I'm so glad that quilt is out of the cupboard. Doesn't matter how much you change your original plan you'll have a wonderful quilt in the end. Love the grid quilting by the way..;o) Have fun...xxx

Lynda said...

Your flowers are so pretty, Leanne. Your quilt is going to be wonderful - I like your new plans for the quilting.

SuperMomNoCape said...

Your quilt is going to be lovely when it's finished. My plan for 2015 is getting UFOs finished and in use too. It's such fun to see what everyone else worked on for FNwF and to know that others are working on older projects as well.

Outback Craftaholic said...

Your quilt is lovely Leanne and I think the grid quilting suits it quite nicely. Your flowers are absolutely beautiful. Unfortunately I have a brown thumb and tend to kill anything I try to grow so I take my hat off to you with growing such beautiful plants. Cheers, Tracy.

Cathy said...

I love this quilt! Yes get it finished! Xx

The big 5 0

 Well its been a very fun week for me. Last Saturday I turned 50. It was a fun day of celebrations followed by a wonderful dinner with 30 ...