Saturday, October 27, 2012

Union Jack

 You know when I first saw a Union Jack quilt over at this blog I really liked it but  at the time I never thought I would be making my very own. That was until my dear friend Cathy wanted to make one and she asked me if I'd like to join her.
 Well I never turn down an opportunity to have a sewing session with Cathy so we made one block together. I absolutely loved  the way it went together and it was so different from anything I had made before.
 So I have been having a few sewing sessions of my own and have made a few more blocks. Stay tuned for more on this quilt as its going along so well. I want to make 20 blocks altogether.
 I also cut into my bliss jelly roll that's been hiding in the cupboard for over 2 years.
 I started making a quilt called Sparkling gemstones from a jelly roll book.
 This is how it goes together.
 This week my garden has burst into bloom yet again so I just had to share some pics. Look at this beautiful Lilac. I have picked a bunch and have them in my sewing room, the scent is divine,

 You see the perfectly manicured lawn. well thats down to my husband,. The garden is his domain but occasionally I'm allowed to potter with him.

 Bright yellow daisies make the yard very cheerful.
I get to enjoy all this from my sewing room window.
This lawn is the perfect cricket pitch for the boys during summer.

Have a wonderful weekend, I hope you find some sewing time. My Union Jack blocks are calling me. Bye.

13 comments:

Stephany said...

I love your Union Jack blocks Leanne, especially with the 'lightblue' one. It gives the quilt a different touch. Enjoy your flowers, we also have the Lilac in summer.

Anonymous said...

Boy Leanne you have been so busy,love both your quilts,well done,and what a beautiful garden you have and makes for stunning views from your sewing room window.xx

Darlene said...

Two very sweet projects. Your Union Jack blocks are fabulous and the Bliss quilt is wonderful.

Christine M said...

Your Union Jack blocks look great Leanne. My boys would kill for a flat backyard like yours. Ours is quite a slope!

Marina said...

What a fun time you are having LOL Your garden and blocks look amazing!!Have a great weekend. Im going to sew on the binding on my red, white and blue quilt. You did a fantastic job on it THANK YOU ♥

Simone Harding said...

I am loving what you did to your Bliss jelly roll.
I bought the fat quarter range and am always on the hunt for ideas.

Pauline said...

hi Leanne, your flags look awesome....i did an aussie flag for my friend in usa after sept 11..they have loads of componants dont they..lol I think you might be enjoying your sewing room just a tiny bit...rofl..nice pics...cheers

Deborah said...

I've been in love with Union Jack blocks for some time but I don't seem to have the courage to tackle them. I think watching you will give me encouragement! Your yard looks wonderful....please tell your husband I said so! :o)

trishie said...

Love all the beautiful fabrics you chose for the Union Jack blocks! Pretty blooms too. I just bought heaps of plants for my backyard and can't wait for my garden to burst in blooms too.

PS: I'd like to invite to join the Bosisto's giveaway at my blog, I have 4 lavender packs up for grabs here: http://www.underlockandkeyblog.com/2012/10/bosistos-lavender-giveaway.html

Wendy said...

Your projects are gorgeous Leanne, your fabrics are so pretty. Love your garden too!

Roseanne said...

Your Union Jack blocks look lovely. You will have to send your husband down to do my garden LoL.

Bev said...

Oh fun! I love your Union Jack blocks. I have paper piecing patterns but haven't started yet! I'm SO Glad you are going to do Summer Celebrations with us! It's fun to do! Mine's ending up a lot lighter than I was going to make it. I just told Cathy that I can't email you guys through Blogger because my work stuff (for my real job) is on this computer and is not compatible with Outlook. My email addy is: bev@44thstreetfabric.blogspot.com. Love your blog! I'm a new follower!

Cheery wave!

Bev

Anonymous said...

Loving all your sewing :))

The big 5 0

 Well its been a very fun week for me. Last Saturday I turned 50. It was a fun day of celebrations followed by a wonderful dinner with 30 ...